Friday, May 23, 2008

Project: Immigration low-lands

It is the blog everyone has been waiting for! Mijn naam is Angelie Linthorst. Ik ben blij, ik hou van Richard en ik woon al twee maanden met zijn familie in Nederland... and only a dutchy what the heck that says!

So.. the low down... Life has been rather different than I was used to (as anyone would imagine). The people I have been associated with are great! The dutch are a unique breed of the human species... nonetheless they remain a GREAT crowd of Cloggies. Now... really... the first few weeks the weather was horribly cold (as I know it was in the states as well), but the past couple weeks have been really nice. The rain pays off (if anyone is from Oregon you know this simple fact well)!! The beginning of my days had been spent trying to get my bearings by studying the language, sporting, basic daily routines with the family, and evenings and weekends out with Richard and friends.... of course I am still getting the hang of things, but just this last month we got the keys to our flat and the last couple weeks have begun working in it.


I also started my new job in the hottest spot of the Rotterdam red-light district.... it turns out that these euro-folk like American things more than they let up to! (I sell chocolate... get your minds out of the gutter!)

It has been great to spend so much time with Richard and get to know him better in normal life situations. He is AWESOME and we have a lot of fun and are learning a lot about eachother. His family is amazing and they have taken me in like their own and they are a very open and unashamed group. They have never shown hesitation to treat me like a sister, it's GREAT... (and I mean literally holding nothing back... if you are a memeber of my family reading this, I am refering to how we are with eachother in comparrison... nothing to hide) :P

Things are changing and working out for me being able to get a visa here. Thanks to a friend here, I was referred to a family that needs an aupair. I just met with them this week and... money in the bag baby! Now I have to go through the gruling paperwork process, but I begin in June! As soon as I get the verblijfsvergunning (visa) I am legal for a year!

Well... there is a brief overview of what's hittin the fan in HO-land. Here are some pics of some of the events and happenings.

No comments: